Somehow January, February, March and April are already in the rearview mirror as are Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, China, Laos & soon, Thailand. How does the time go by so quickly? Since my last update, I’ve set foot in 5 countries including – surprise! – the USA. I have so many stories to tell, so stay tuned!
Hanging ten. No biggie.
- Conquering 20 hours of yoga and 1 full day of silence at ONEWORLD
- Learning to surf like a boss in Bali with Surf Goddess & the Rip Curl School of Surf
- Singing Justin Bieber’s “Baby” with an Indonesian cover band
- Spoiling myself with tons of cheap cheap cheap spa treatments in Bali, Laos & Thailand
- Surprising my whole family with a weeklong visit back home
- Karaoke at my favorite NYC spot – Mr. Biggs; karaoke at my favorite Laos spot – uh, the bowling alley
- Experiencing the unbridled joy of Songkran; initiating an impromptu water fight with about 50 kids in a Laos village with my Stray Asia tourmates; running amok soaking wet on the streets of Luang Prabang in celebration of the new year
Ange & Amber enjoying Laos New Year in Luang Prabang
- Flying approximately 40 total hours on China Eastern, where the food is inedible, the entertainment is never in a language I speak and the time zones are maddening
- Busting my new Canon G12 and my bum during my little bike snafu
- Getting scary sick for 11 days in Thailand (High: miraculously recovering right before going to the hospital)
- Bugs everywhere. The bed, the bathroom, the street and in.my.food.
Lessons & Goals
- Long term travel is no vacation from work! I work all the time, though since I’m working for me, it’s arguably better than working for the man. Check out the press page for a selection of my visible efforts.
- I am no longer surprised at the cultural divide between East and West. Easterners see Westerners (women, particularly) as trashy, brazen fools. They watch MTV and see rich, spoiled, musically talented strippers and they suspect we’re all like that. Then Westerners arrive in the East and reinforce those messages with their behavior. There have been some truly cringe-worthy moments.
- Don’t ride a bicycle with your new camera around your neck. That story ends badly.
- God has put the perfect people in my path all along the way. A new PR client next to me on my China Eastern flight… a Christian receptionist on a Muslim island in Thailand to share Easter with… The Dutchies in Bali… a sweet magazine editor at the bar at The Pavilions Phuket… the best travel partners ever on my Stray Asia tour… I am always pleasantly surprised to run into just the right person at the right time.
- I have found a few places with no Christian churches at all, so there may be a bit of a lull in the Church Around the World posts. I have learned to be prepared with the most updated Northpoint Church podcasts to supplement church attendance. (PS- Missionaries! I found some good spots for you!) (PPS – Not me. There are gargantuan roaches.)
- SE Asia is the best place to go if you want to stretch a dollar. Most days I haven’t spent more than $20. I am going to have sticker shock in Greece!
- I’m putting the finishing touches on my eBook, a guide for travel writers and bloggers (me circa today) who hope to work with PR folks (me circa 2010) to get free trips, accommodations and tours.
- I’m off to Greece on May 8 where I’ll meet up with a handful of my dearest friends. It’s going to be such a treat!
What was your favorite post so far? What do you want to read more of? Please do let me know in the comments section. Your comments make my day!
PS – If you enjoy Angie Away, maybe your friends will too! You can share on your Facebook wall with the button below. =)