A Very Sharky Birthday in South Africa

Now y’all know I don’t usually post so quickly after an event… I like to process my travel thoroughly and then write about it. But today was just too brilliant, and I had to share ASAP. My magnificent fabulous 30th birthday extravaganza yesterday was washed out by torrential downpours and a hailstorm the likes of which I’ve never before seen, even in crazy Florida weather. So my plans, which have been in place for ages, were washed down the drain, and my actual birthday was a disappointment.

Fortunately, my pity party was short lived and my birthday festivities were rescheduled for today beginning at 4 a.m. Have a look at how I celebrated the big three-o.

My party dress

My birthday party venue

My first party guest

Bite marks in the party decor? Party on!

Mmmmm appetizers!

This is my favorite picture of the day, for obvious reasons! The shark swam right up to the cage and took a big ole bite of buoy, so I was able to quickly snap this shot. My only birthday wish this year was that a shark would try to eat me while in the cage, and it came true!

I even slapped a video together, but sorry – there’s no music or editing or bells & whistles this time. I think you’ll find my outbursts of joy are soundtrack enough. I really wanted you to share with you on the same day it happened… then it’s a bit like you were all here to celebrate with me. (And furthermore, I just wanted to thank all you readers, not just for the birthday wishes yesterday, but for virtually traveling with me this amazing 29th year. I have no regrets and only opportunities and more big fun ahead. Thank you thank you thank you!)

For more shark coverage and of course, the unbelievable stories from the rest of the journey, stay tuned!

Want to experience Great Whites up close? I went with The White Shark Diving Co. in Gansbaai, South Africa.

So, what do you think about my birthday party? Would you do it? Do you find it ironic that I will literally run screaming bloody murder away from a cockroach and yet Great White Sharks are as innocuous as puppies to me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Breadcrumb:

42 thoughts on “A Very Sharky Birthday in South Africa

1. Jen

Angie this is so inspiring. I love how you are grabbing life by the horns and owning it! I’ve got 8 months to think of how I’m going to spend my 30th birthday, I think you’ve seriously upped the ante here ;)

2. lauren

i don’t know whether to “like” this post or give it a very huge thumbs down. eeeeeeeek ange! x10!

but i guess…yay for the big 3-0? bahhhh! you’re insane friend!

LOVE!

3. Amanda

Oh. My. Gosh!! This is so epic. What a birthday!!

I have “cage diving with Great Whites” on my bucket list, and I hope to cross it off one day in South Africa like you did!

Glad to hear that your birthday was awesome, even if it did take 2 tries!

4. Sherry

Looks much more fun than breaking up with a boyfriend and stressfully closing on a condo; which is what I did for my big 3-0! So glad your birthday wish came true. Here’s hoping your 30s are as much fun as yours 20s.

5. Antoinette B.

One of the things I’ve always wanted to do in life!!! It’s so freaking awesome! I met a girl from South Africa while I was in Croatia over the summer and she said if I go visit her, we’d see the Great White Sharks! Totally enjoyed your video! This just made me want to go to S.A. even more! And belated Happy Birthday!!

6. Ashley

I am so excited for you! That is such a cool video and you can just hear your excitement! Happy 30th Angie :) Maybe one day I will be able to be in a shark cage as well I am so jealous!!

7. Laurel

I love shark diving and would love to do it with great whites. Sounds like an incredible and memorable way to celebrate your birthday and you couldn’t have asked for more entertaining birthday “guests”. :)

8. caz

No would never do it. Would die of a heart attack.
    My 30th was spent sliding around the mud at the Durham Beer Fest! Hey at least we had wet weather that was common.

9. Pingback: 7 Super Shots with @Hostelbookers

10. Pingback: Where to Stay in Cape Town, South Africa | Angie Away

11. Alabama

Angie Away thanks for sharing these great images and your trip! Can’t wait to check out your Alaska trip and look forward to your post!