After eating salmon risotto at Katerina’s in Mykonos at least a dozen times and showing up just for wine and chats the other nights, I was practically family, so they let me in on a little family secret – the recipe for Katerina’s Delectable Salmon Risotto! I warn you that it’s not one of those picture perfect-down-to-the-teaspoon recipes you might find in a Martha Stewart cookbook; it’s straight-up, homemade like Katerina herself does it with a smidge of that and three-seconds-worth of the other.
This is what it’s supposed to look like. Crossing my fingers mine turns out the same way!
I’m planning to whip up a batch within the next few days, which should be particularly interesting because A. I don’t cook and B. I have to LIGHT IT ON FIRE on purpose. So this could make for a really interesting follow up blog post… meep.
- Prepared arborio rice (Add rice & butter in a pot with large cuts of white onions. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes then add one cup of water and put over high heat. Boil and stir constantly. When the water is almost gone add more, and continue doing so until the rice is al dente. Let cool.)
- Smoked salmon (about 80g per serving)
- Little bit of butter
- 4 chops worth of fresh spring onions
- Vodka (2 seconds worth)
- Fresh cream (enough to put out the fire)
- Worcestershire sauce (a smidge)
- Parmigiano shavings & parsley to garnish
- In a sauce pan, simmer the butter and spring onions for about one minute.
- Add smoked salmon and stir for three minutes on medium heat.
- Pour vodka in; work through ingredients for about 30 seconds.
- Light the whole concoction on fire, putting it out with cream.
- Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and return to high heat.
- Add arborio rice, stirring in the plan until the cream turns yellow & thick.
- Top with fresh parmigiano shavings & garnish with parsley.
I have no idea how many people this recipe serves, but let’s just say one. ME. Nomnomnom. Follow up post to come!
10 thoughts on “Travel Food | Katerina’s Delectable Salmon Risotto”
YOU HAVE TO SET THIS ON FIRE?!?! I’m scared for your mother’s house….
I’m gonna take a video, just in cases :\
That’s one way to finally get a new kitchen!
I like your optimism!
That sounds so fantastic! Salmon is always abundant and fresh here in Seattle, so we’ll have to try that out.
I bet it will be even better with fresh salmon! Let me know if you make it – I’d love to hear how it turns out!
I love risotto but am usually a wuss and stick to making a veg version so I don’t mess it up! I’ve heard of having vodka cream sauce with pasta but never risotto so I really want to try this and would never have thought to put Worcestershire sauce in. Let us know how you get on!
Update: I just made this recipe to RAVE reviews from my parents. And my mom hates fish, so that’s a big deal! Delish!
Looks and sounds delicious- will definitely have to try it!
I made it last night… amazing!